Rossmore Cottage - Accredited Tourism Business

Magnificent Creswick Museum

27 February 2018

Creswick Museum is housed in the former Municipal Offices of the Shire of Creswick, situated in the Creswick Town Hall complex. The Creswick Town Hall was built in 1876 a magnificent two storey National Trust classified building, with a wonderful tower and clock.

Creswick Museum was opened to the public on November 20th 1970 by Sir Daryl Lindsay. The interior of the building is notable for the magnificent classic winding staircase of local Basalt. From the balcony on the second floor you can look down onto the Exhibition Gallery. During 2010 extensive work was undertaken in the Creswick Museum with grants from Heritage Victoria and Museum Victoria. Heritage Victoria's grant saw improvements to the Council Chamber with the removal of asbestos and rendering of the walls.

The volunteers spent many hours cleaning and rehousing the photographs in the room. Downstairs floors in the Atrium Gallery and Colonial Art Gallery were replaced. New glass doors and tiling at the entrance. Museum Victoria's grant was to install security cameras and special lighting in the Mining Room.

Creswick Museum is a not for profit organisation, run by a Committee of Management, appointed by the Shire of Hepburn. The Committee of Management relies on admissions to the museum and research fees to run both the Museum and Research Centre.

The Mining Room tells the story of mining of gold in the area. It especially tells the story of the worst gold mining disaster when 22 men lost their lives in 1882. The only known artefact from the mine disaster is on display - the Clifton Billy. Three came out of the mine with messages for their love ones.